01737 812800 Castaways Travel Logo

Advice and Useful Links

people skiing image
Yacht on water image

BBC Weather logo
Weather - Check out temperatures around the world www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world

Foreign and Commonwealth Office logo
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Official advice on overseas countries supplies up to date information on potential trouble spots, consular assistance and general advice on safe travel. www.fco.gov.uk

Home Office IPS logo
UK Passport Office - Passport and Visa information www.ukpa.gov.uk

World Health Organisation logo
World Health Organisation - Advice on immunisations and health precautions

Fit for travel logo
Online advice provided by the NHS Scotland gives travel health information for people travelling abroad from the UK. www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk

Holidaymakers often plan ‘DIY holidays’ booking flights and accommodation online from different suppliers. However, these holidays are not protected under the ATOL scheme. This means that, if the airline stops flying, you would lose your money and have to pay again for replacement flights. Additionally, you could incur a loss on any prepaid accommodation or car hire. By booking through Castaways there will be no financial risk and the holiday and travel cost could well be cheaper anyway. Why spend your valuable time cruising the web trying to save £££’s – the on-line prices are not always what they seem and risk losing your money!

Castaways world-wide travel are fully bonded. We are members of ABTA (The Travel Association) - membership 18466 & V6913 and are licensed by the Civil Aviation Authority - ATOL 1140. Any travel arrangements booked through us are fully protected.

Know Before You Go is a government campaign launched by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in 2001 to advise UK travellers on staying safe abroad and what help the FCO can provide if something goes wrong. Click here to visit the website

Before finalising travel to any destination, particularly long haul, check what inoculations or prophylaxis (malaria) are mandatory or recommended. Many health arrangements need to be made several weeks prior to travel.

For travel in Europe, take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which gives the holder rights to any healthcare that becomes necessary during a temporary visit to EEA (European Economic Area) countries or Switzerland.

Castaways no longer offers travel insurance to clients but please don’t leave the UK without adequate insurance and make sure it covers you for any activities you are likely to undertake such as extreme or water sports. Click here for staying-safe checklist

Your visa situation is extremely important and should be thoroughly checked well before departure. Some countries insist that you have your visa issued before arrival and valid for specific dates, whereas others will grant you one as you arrive. Some airlines will not even let you board the plane if you do not have the relevant paperwork.